Saturday, September 17, 2011

Picky Eaters

 

I have never been a picky eater. Even as a kid, I would much rather have ordered off of the adult menu instead of the kid’s when eating out. Chicken fingers and french fries or grilled salmon and asparagus? Even at six years old, that was an obvious choice. My parents always encouraged me to try new things and provided plenty of opportunities to do so. Although I’m sure for from a price perspective they wouldn’t have minded if I ordered those chicken fingers once in a while!

Now when people learn that I am a vegetarian and also gluten-free, their first question is, “What do you eat?” I think they assume that I must be a picky eater because my food selection is so limited. But that could not be further from the truth!

When I think of a picky eater, I think of someone who isn’t willing to try new foods or turns up their nose at something they’ve never even heard of. Or even the boy I used to babysit who ate the exact.same.thing for breakfast and lunch every single day that summer.

I think my current veg/g-free lifestyle has introduced me to so many new and different foods that I probably wouldn’t have otherwise ventured to buy. A kitchen full of tofu, tempeh, nutritional yeast, amaranth, etc., etc., hardly belongs to that of a picky eater. With fruits, vegetables, beans, legumes, nuts, seeds and many grains being naturally g-free, I have never felt my food selection is limited.

I don’t have a problem defending my food choices because I know that I eat a healthy, balanced diet. The thing is, I don’t think I should have to defend my food choices. Just because the things I eat are different from what others might choose does not give them the right to criticize my decisions. I’m not going to nag others for eating meat, (though I will gladly explain the benefits of a plant-based diet),  so please don’t look at my meal with a critical eye. I believe we could all stand to be more open-minded; in not just this, but all areas of our lives. If you still don’t believe me, let me cook you dinner and I promise I’ll change your mind and disprove any misconceptions about what a veg/g-free meal is like!

No comments:

Post a Comment