Friday, August 19, 2011

Embrace It

Exactly two weeks and one day ago today I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I will never forget that day as my life from that point on would be changed forever. At first I was shocked, angry and overwhelmed. I couldn't help but think of all of the gluten containing foods that I would now have to give up. Never again would I eat another ice cream cone, my special heath bar birthday cake, Christmas cookie, Thanksgiving stuffing, pretzel (one of my favorite foods), or my family's traditional pierogi. I was devastated and tears were definitely shed.

Follow a gluten free diet forever? Forever had never sounded so far away, but this was just the beginning of my journey.

With lots of support from family and friends it only took a few days before my attitude started to change, and I became relieved by the diagnosis. I stopped feeling sorry for myself because I realized I am truly lucky. It normally takes years before a Celiac diagnosis is actually confirmed, and 95% of people with Celiac Disease don't even know they have it! All of the horrible symptoms and health issues I'd experienced are now completely in my control. By simply changing my diet, I will feel 100% better. No medications, no other tests, just food as the cure.

Being a Registered Dietitian I am especially thankful for my background knowledge of Celiac Disease. Learn how to read food labels? Check. Know which foods contain gluten? Got it. Find gluten-free alternatives? Done. While I know how to do these things, that doesn't mean change is easy. 

In the past two weeks as I began to explore more g-free options, I learned I wouldn't necessary have to give up my favorite foods. I can still enjoy cakes, cookies and even pretzels, but just in g-free form. This process requires creativity in the kitchen, but I'm ready for the challenge! There are plenty of other challenges to tackle as well: eating out, explaining my g-free lifestyle to family and friends, creating a safe-zone in the kitchen and lots of others things that I'll discover along the way.

I'm now ready to embrace my Celiac Disease. G-free please!

No comments:

Post a Comment