Wednesday, August 31, 2011

It’s backkkk

 

Who doesn’t love bread? A crusty loaf with a super soft and fluffy center. Mmmm. Well, it’s been a while since I’ve had bread, and I was starting to miss it. Grilled cheese is one of my all time favorite foods, and it needed to make a come back in my life.

This required 2 things:

1. Me splurging on a loaf of g-free bread

2. This baby…

IMGP8332

G-free breads can spoil very quickly, so keeping them frozen is necessary. To me, that also means a toaster is a necessity. Especially since I was picturing thawed bread turning out soggy.

Sharing a toaster is NOT an option when trying to prevent cross contamination. Just looking at the other toaster at home almost made me sick as I saw all the gluten-filled crumbs hanging out in there. I was going to  need to purchase a toaster when I moved anyways, and you can’t beat the back-to-college sale prices now, so it seemed like the perfect time to make this investment.

I ventured to the natural food store to check out my g-free options. I figured it would be safe to stick with one of the more well-known brands for my first purchase, so I went back and forth between Udi’s and Rudi’s (coincidence in the names?). Ultimately, I decided on Rudi’s…because it was cheaper! When you’re paying close to $6 for a loaf of bread, price is an important factor. I chose the whole-grain variety since it seemed the closest to the whole-wheat bread I used to purchase.

IMGP8333

Ta da!

So what’s the verdict? It’s a winner! The bread tastes delicious. Honestly, I loved the flavor and texture, but my only complaint was that the pieces are much smaller than the regular loaves I’m used to. It’s not exactly that crusty loaf of Italian I was envisioning, but maybe that’s out there somewhere too!

IMGP8334

And that first grilled cheese? Yeah, it was pretty good too. Winking smileI don’t know how often I’ll actually buy bread since it is an expense, but it’s nice to know that when I do want a special treat I don’t have to sacrifice taste or quality. Strange that I am now considering bread a special treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment